Thursday, January 7, 2010

It's their fault


I knew when I saw this recipe for Chocolate Truffles with Sea Salt, that I was in trouble. Bad kind of trouble. The kind of trouble that goes right to your thighs. At least in my case they do.

However, don't be scared. I urge you to go forth and conquer and make these. I know the holidays are over, but maybe you have someone's birthday that you should celebrate. Maybe there's a dinner party to attend? A potluck in the office? Maybe your husband did something wonderful? (Mine does ALL the time! Yup, we're still newlyweds!)
The best part about finding something as delicious as these chocolate truffles is that you can give them away.

My modifications to this recipe are as follows:

I used 3/4 semisweet chocolate (Ghirardelli) and 1/4 Dark Chocolate (Hersheys, it's what I had in my pantry) for the actual truffle. I'm sure the mix that Pioneer Woman uses is just as good. Use what you like. I'm more of a milk chocolate woman than a dark chocolate woman anyway.

Some tips:

After you melt the chocolate and the sweetened condensed milk, you can split the mix up and flavor differently if you want to. I added a few (3-4) drops of peppermint to one batch and that tasted great.

Smaller is better for truffles. I made my second batch about 5/8" in diameter instead of 3/4".

I left my truffle mix to sit out on the stove to cool. The first batch was put in the fridge overnight, and I then had to remelt it in order to get it to working form. Play around with what works for you.

When covering the truffles with melted chocolate, I used a fork with wide prongs and several toothpicks. I would throw 3-4 truffles into the chocolate, use a spoon to heap chocolate on them, and then fish one out and use the toothpick under the fork to swipe away the chocolate that drips through. (Are you salivating yet?)

Recipe can be found here: Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Truffles with Sea Salt

Let me know if you are going to be blaming these truffles like I am.
Back to the gym...

4 comments:

inadvertent farmer said...

Oh those look just wickedly good! Kim

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

I will blame you for posting this recipe and I will blame you for not sending me any and I will blame you that I want some of those right at this moment.

YD

Unknown said...

Too good to be true! What is the ratio 1 truffle - 1 hr gym? :-)

Janice said...

WWOOOO HOOOO!!! Gluten Free baby. Come to mama!