Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What to do with all the cucumbers?!?


Along with the mini mater invasion this year, I'm also having a very good cucumber year. Self-seeded cucumbers at that. They are climbing the 6ft fence is several spots, shamelessly using the lettuce that went to seed as shade, and they have higher aspirations than the tomatoes - using their trellises to wind their way up, up, up. I draw the line at them winding their little tentacles around the peppers and eggplants though. Enough of that, you are being yanked back and put elsewhere! There should be some order in my garden! :-)

I promised Lisa at
Molto di Moda Designs that I would post some cucumber recipes, so here goes. This is a fun and quick recipe for a thai pickled cucumber salad that I made tonight.
I used my own cucumbers, the french red shallots that grew over winter, and my friend Melika's hot peppers that she gave me last week. I have no clue what they are, but they are adorable and look like little Christmas lights.

Thai Pickled Cucumber Salad - Ajad
(Enough for 4-6 people)
1 cucumber (mine was about 8 inches)
2 medium-sized shallots or other mild onion, Vidalia would work
1/2 red chili pepper or other hot pepper

Vinegar Mixture
1/4 cup boiling water
1 tbsp regular sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp rice vinegar

Make the vinegar mixture first.
Place sugar and salt in a medium bowl and pour the boiling water over. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the vinegar. Let sit.


Peel the cucumber and cut it in half length-wise.
With a small spoon, scoop out the seeds and discard (compost bin!).
Slice the cucumber across. Place cucumbers in the vinegar mixture.


Chop the shallots and clean the hot pepper before chopping it as well.
Add hot pepper and shallots and stir.

It may seem as if you don't have enough liquid at first, but the cucumbers will release some water as well.


Let sit for about an hour.


I really like the sweet-hot-sour mixture of this pickled salad. This would be a nice side to any asian dish, or even to a nice meal from the grill.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oooo, Lena! This sounds DELICIOUS! I will have to try this. Let me know if you come up with any others. My huband made a tomato salad with cucumbers and squash with a delicious asian dressing that included sesame oil (I wish I could give you a recipe, but he does "a little of this, a little of that" kind of cooking! :) ) Thanks for the link to my blog...and thanks again for entering my GIVEAWAY!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Sounds very easy to make! Thank you for sharing. I love cucumber salad, very refreshing.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

You've been tagged!